Me

Me
Notes from the seedy underbelly of a new runner.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

My first long run.

2/12/2011- I went on my first long run (10.1 mi). I was mentally prepared. But my left hip wasn't. The first seven miles were great. I had a nice steady pace (steady is the key here, not fast) and my body felt springy and youthful. Then at mile seven I started to feel a little pinch in my left hip joint. Half a mile later it turned in to a sharp pinch. And a mile after that every step I took on my left leg resulted in a moderately intense soreness. My leg stiffened and I spent the last mile jogging with an awkward hobble.
     I tried just walking but my leg would get stiffer and more painful (I think partially due to the cold) so I kept up the pace and kept the blood pumping. By the time I got home I was a big baby. I whined at my boyfriend to take my shoes of for me b/c I couldn't really bend down that far. I iced my hip immediately and took some ibuprofen later that night to reduce the swelling if there was any. This morning I awoke and the hip was feeling a little better. I'm still icing it and hoping this isn't something chronic and degenerative. I love to run, and I have only been doing it since December. I haven't had my fill of it yet. I don't want it to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment