Me

Me
Notes from the seedy underbelly of a new runner.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Long time no talk!

Hi there fellow bipeds. Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I live in Wisconsin and if you haven't heard, there are a lot of things going on that affect the lives of many people. Sometimes events that are greater than ourselves happen and not only do you get distracted, but you also see the futility of sharing things about yourself. When large social issues are staring you in the face (especially ones that bifurcate the place we plant our flags and call home) it becomes very hard to justify talking about ourselves and our experiences. Not unless they directly pertain to the oh-so-large-and-looming-social issue. This is after all, a blog about my experiences running. Running seems to be a trivial topic when compared to a governor passing state legislation that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of some and sweet victory on the tender buds of others. 
     Then Japan happened. And I got to see the world join forces to help a nation in need. And around that time the situation in Libya escalated as well. With so much fighting and tear jerking unification going on around me, what was there for me to say? "Yes, I ran last Wednesday...but did you see that village swept in to the ocean?" "Of course I ran on Saturday. But did you see those rebel fighters risking their lives for that often elusive greater cause?"
     You know what kills me about the whole thing though? It wasn't until just now that I realized I had all these epiphanies from the comfort of my own couch...in a heated living room...in a quiet, peaceful neighborhood. I only pray that taking things for granted isn't becoming the new pastime.  

Happy trails and for god sake keep running you crazy fools!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment