Me

Me
Notes from the seedy underbelly of a new runner.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Back on track...and shedding the winter wardrobe.

Hello fellow runners and fellow couch potatoes! I've got some good news and some gooder news. The good news is that life is now somewhat back on track. I have recovered from whatever respiratory shenanigans that ailed me, with the added benefit of all my joints magically healing from not doing any running for two and a half weeks. I did ease back in to the swing of things by starting out with some leisurely 3 milers, but with my first half marathon looming in the near future I had to up the anti the last couple of weeks. I did a few 7 mile runs and have worked my way back up to 10-12 mile long runs! Excited I be. We'll see what this weekend brings. I'm still running at a slow pace but right now I am just happy to even complete a long run unscathed.
     Now for the gooder news...SPRING! The snow has melted and the weather has warmed up to the point that I no longer need to spend 30 minutes putting on ten layers of clothes and sliding in to "technical gear" that's supposed to keep me warm while leaving me relatively unencumbered. I suppose it works but I'm not quite sold on the idea. I think Underarmor not only wicks away sweat but also the cash in your bank account...and even your soul. But I really should be focusing on the good! SPRING! It's cool enough that your body won't overheat during a run, but warm enough that you can wear more comfortable clothing (yay for shorts and t-shirts). But be forewarned, there are many a hibernating winter dog turd that irresponsible pet owners have refused to clean up laying in wait on pedestrian sidewalks and trails. I thought I said I was gonna focus on all the good stuff...so I'll make good on that. One piece of winter clothing I won't miss is my balaklava

Nothing says "I want to mug you while keeping my face warm" like a balaklava. Also known as a 'ski mask'.

     Yay for not looking like a repeat felon! I know running isn't about making a fashion statement, but it hurts your feelings when parents clutch their children close to their sides as you pass them by. OK so it doesn't really hurt my feelings, in fact I consider it a boon. Another good thing about spring is that you get to see a lot more runners out and about, suddenly the world gets less lonely. And finally, the most wonderful thing about spring is the scenery. Green things will be sprouting soon, and the world will get a whole lot prettier.
Well runners and non-runners, I'm gonna go to bed, but remember this...

I'm watching you.


No comments:

Post a Comment